Since the end of November 2007 the entire administration of the Swiss National Park can be found in the premises of the Planta-Wildenberg castle of Zernez.
• 1280: The estate most likely dates back to the 13th century, when it belonged to the Wildenberg family, whose seat was close to Falera in the Vorderrhein valley.
• 1298: the bishop of Chur bought the estate.
• In 1302 it was attributed to Conrad Planta of Zuoz and thence – presumably initially as surety for a loan to the bishop, and later in outright ownership – to the branch of the family, that since the 16th century had called itself “Planta-Wildenberg”.
• 1618: during the Bündner Wirren (Grisons Riots) of 1618 the castle was largely demolished. After the return of the Knight Rudolf von Planta under the protection of the Austrian occupying powers in 1622 the people of the Lower Engadine were forced to rebuild the castle.
• 18th century: the building as we see it today is largely the result of the conversions and extensions carried out during the second half of the 18th century; work was commissioned by Johann Heinrich von Planta (1707-1779) and the Rhaetian aristocrat Peter von Planta (1734-1805). Around 1850 Peter Conradin von Planta sold the estate to the Bezzola family.
• 1872: the great village fire spared the castle, as well as the ecclesiastical buildings. The castle stands where the old part of the village, Runatsch, meets the reconstructed area.
• 1956: the castle was acquired by the municipality of Zernez, which established its administrative centre there.
• 1956-1957 saw a conversion,
• 1990-1994 a restoration of the façade and interior. (extract from Schweizerische Kunstführer, Luzi Dosch, Zernez).
During guided tours around the village, the castle is open to visitors on Monday afternoons.